Thread: Frankenheli

Official Member

Frankenheli

Couldn't stand the wait any longer....with super glue and duct tape I put my broken HM53Q back together again....my biggest concern was the blades....a few friends told me the super glued blades will never hold.... and don't fly her you may get sliced by a flying blade!

Well I flew three batteries worth last night with out a problem (I flew alone, so I was only endangering myself)....the extra weight and unbalanced blades performed just fine and I had her flying like she was before the horrific crash.

I guess the Walkera HM53Q is a survivor....she had fallen on the roof of my house, done the death tumble off the roof and fell 8' onto my lawn....

Last night I did manage to have a few minor crashes w/o additional damage. The duct tape and super glue seem to be holding up.

By the way I did wear protective eye ware and I don't recommend anyone fly with two piece bandaged blades.

Legendary Member

Re: Frankenheli

Good going j!

Happy landings

Bronze Member

you sound like a fool, an accident waiting to happen. Plus you brag about it.

Official Member

bragging? How did you come up with that?

Foolish....a little....I did wear protective eyeware....should I have put on my bullet proof vest?

I flew alone....no one else around to get hurt....

I guess I'm puzzled by your statements Beltcp.

Heck, I was just happy to be flying again....can't wait to fly some more today while I'm waiting for some new blades to arrive Tuesday.

Still Charging...

I've glued alot of pieces together to save the dreaded wait for new ones, but never anything to do with the blades... That's kinda scary One time after about a dozen flights with a new set of blades, while spooling up, the feathering shaft screw head broke (maybe too tight?) and I only saw a blur of what were the blades FLYING off in opposite directions!!! I'm sooo lucky they didn't hit me because one of them stuck in the shed, and these are wood blades. After that I check EVERY screw for preflight for the day and make sure I threadlocked them all (all the metal to metal ones anyways) every single time I reassemble anything. I have a collective pitch and even with the stock motor, the head speed is ridiculously fast. Safety before anything when dealing with a real RC helicopter. If it was the little $20 3 channel I have for indoor flying, sure, I'd rig it to fly since it's really light load on it, but still could lose an eye for being anxious, then what? Try to hold that need to fly down when you are risking your own safety man. Just some food for thought. Have fun and stay up!

Official Member

Yes....safety should always be the #1 concern....

After super glueing the blades and letting them sit 24 hours....then took small strips of duct tape and cross stripped the blades in three different directions....then before installing them I pulled as hard as could holding opposite ends of the blade....absolutely rock solid.

I promise to all of you....I'll be safe....

I am new to heli's but was a die hard RC truck racer back in the mid-eighties with hundreds of hours and dollars spent building and racing them.

Thanks for your concern.

Newbie Member
    I would love to see a pic of your heli