Thread: 800mah vs 1200mah?

Official Member

800mah vs 1200mah?

Hello everyone! Can someone please explain the difference between a 7.4v Lipo 800mah vs 7.4v Lipo 1200mah or higher? I'm planning to replace my or MH 8.4V battery on my Honey Bee IV. I read a topic here that someone did it with no problems. Thank you!

Still Charging...

Re: 800mah vs 1200mah?

As far as I know the Mah is the amount of storage the battery has. Thus a higher rating the longer it will last. If the volts are the same and within your electronics use rating then you'll have more flight time out of a battery with more mah. There are some forums on the lipo batteries and also some well informed folks on these forums to better help. That's just a start. Have fun!

Silver Member

The mAh rating is simply the capacity of the battery. milliAmphour.
    So a 1200 mAh LiPo will have 50% more capacity than an 800.

In an ideal world that should translate to 50% more flying time, but the additional weight of the larger mAh LiPo will result in less than 50% better flight times.

Some of us are using 1200mAh LiPo's on our HBFP's with success (with the proper battery tray and positioning). Anything larger will likely be too heavy for any actual net gain.

<edit> It was pointed out by a member that I was incorrect in stating mAh is milliamps per hour, which would be a rate rather than capacity, so in an effort to be correct, the change has been made to my first statement.
    Esky Belt CP - Esky HBFP - Guru-Z Neon

Newbie Member

I'm getting consitant 12-13 min hover times with my HBFP with 7.4 800 mah. In theory you say a 1200mah should last about 50% longer, less with the added weight. Do you have an actual flight/hover time? I too am considering another battery and wondering whether the 1000mah or 1200mah is worth it. Also my charge time is 1hr 15min or 1hr 30min. I can remember exactly right now. I'm about to charge it right now.

Official Member

Thanks Everyone for your inputs!! another question; Has anybody used the cheap Lipo wall chargers before? I've read that it is very dangerous to evr charger Lipo batteries. How thix types of charger actyally work? Will they stop on their own? How can you prevent an over cgarge by using one of this. Yeah! I should spend the money an get a good quality charger, I'm saving right know to buy my first 6 channel heli along with a good charger. In the mean time I'm just trying to get more air time out of my Honey Bee with a Lipo. Thanks again!!

What 6-channel electric heli r u looking for Some models come with the LIPO Battery and LIPO charger.

-Happy Flying !!!
    Visit us

Official Member

I'm waiting for XHeli.com to have the Belt CP Carbon editon back in stock.

The best way to think about volts and amps is to think of water flowing through a pipe. You can think of volts as pressure of water and amps as volume of water, amp hours is simply volume of water in an hour!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Still Charging...

Nice explanation Jonp =D

Lets' all play nice. This board is to help everyone. If your here to blow off some steam - Please take it somewhere else.

-Happy Flying !!!
    Visit us