Thread: Backwards Throttle

Newbie Member

Backwards Throttle

I just tried to bind my new Airfield Mustang, with the throttle at it's lowest setting it took and cut my hand pretty bad, i suppose it's wired backwards?

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun View Post
    I just tried to bind my new Airfield Mustang, with the throttle at it's lowest setting it took and cut my hand pretty bad, i suppose it's wired backwards?
    What radio you using?
    Sounds like the throttle channel on the radio is reversed. I suggest taking the prop off before screwing w/ it any more.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Diesel RC - Land, Air & Sea
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Diesel6401
    Fleet: http://s1238.photobucket.com/home/Diesel6401

It's the throttle channel reversed.

If the motor was wired backwards,it would just spin backwards...0% throttle would still be 0% throttle.

Take the prop off and power it up again...If it starts the motor,push the throttle to 100%...I'm betting that will shut it down.
    If so...reverse the throttle channel.
    SAB Goblin 700 with Align 700MX motor and OS 1100HV 100A ESC...JR 8717's on cyclic and throttle...BeastX and Savox 2227HV BLS on the tail...All controlled with a Futaba T8FGS

Unfortunate way to find out about the need to take the prop off while checking the radio functions of an electric aircraft.

Too often people think that electric is safe. Actually electric can be as dangerous as glow or gasoline. Its the prop size and RPM, not what makes it turn. At least glow and gas make noise to warn you that the prop is turning. Electric can go from 0 to shredding body parts faster than you can blink.
    In Avatar: Falcon 120, BVM EDF

Dynam Me262 1500mm. 110 mph as shipped. Still pushing the CG back.
    Dynam P-51 1200 mm. Flies better with 3S 4000 than the OEM 3S 2200.
    Dynam 1250mm Tiger Moth
    50cc Low Wing Stick (AMR Kit), DLE55
    "The Wings Maker" Commander EP40
    50CC Ultimate Biplane
    Proctor/VK 1/6 Sopwith Camel
    Great Planes Seawind 60

Blade SR
    Blade mSR (indestructible)

More and more and more....

Flying models since 1966, RC since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Huber View Post
    Unfortunate way to find out about the need to take the prop off while checking the radio functions of an electric aircraft.

Too often people think that electric is safe. Actually electric can be as dangerous as glow or gasoline. Its the prop size and RPM, not what makes it turn. At least glow and gas make noise to warn you that the prop is turning. Electric can go from 0 to shredding body parts faster than you can blink.
    Agreed...I actually think electric is more dangerous because,like you said,it's sneaky quiet and spools up instantly.

You should see an electric heli hot start.lol...
    At least you can hold the head on a nitro and smoke the clutch....I know this for a fact.lol...
    An electric is almost unstoppable. Until something breaks in the drive train...and the newer helis have incredibly tough MOD1 gears.

Sorry....I digress

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    SAB Goblin 700 with Align 700MX motor and OS 1100HV 100A ESC...JR 8717's on cyclic and throttle...BeastX and Savox 2227HV BLS on the tail...All controlled with a Futaba T8FGS

Newbie Member
    The beautiful 4 blade prop threw 3 blades.. i reversed the channel and it indeed works correctly as far as on /off, but it doesn't start to run untill about half of the lever throw ( i tryed trim) is this normal? Can i turn over the plug into the recever to make it work not reversed?

Platinum Member
    No, reversing the plug won't work. You have to train your ESC to the throttle range. This usually involves plugging the battery in with the throttle on the transmitter at maximum, the ESC should beep, then move the throttle to minimum, and the ESC should beep the armed pattern, often one beep for each cell in the battery, but not always. Of course, do not do this with the prop on, in case the motor runs when it shouldn't.

Newbie Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WintrSol View Post
    No, reversing the plug won't work. You have to train your ESC to the throttle range. This usually involves plugging the battery in with the throttle on the transmitter at maximum, the ESC should beep, then move the throttle to minimum, and the ESC should beep the armed pattern, often one beep for each cell in the battery, but not always. Of course, do not do this with the prop on, in case the motor runs when it shouldn't.
    I found a video on setting the throttle range, and it worked thanks for your help though. I found the elevator, rudder as well as the throttle require me to reverse the servos, is the normal? Is there something i can do to set them correctly? I hate to ask stupid questions , but there were ZERO instructions supplied with this plane, transmitter, reciever or charger!

Official Member
    I found a video on setting the throttle range, and it worked thanks for your help though. I found the elevator, rudder as well as the throttle require me to reverse the servos, is the normal?
    yes and no....different manufacturers have different ideas as to what's 100% and what's 0%...so some stuff works "normal" with one TX/RX pair while others work "reverse"...
    Is there something i can do to set them correctly? I hate to ask stupid questions , but there were ZERO instructions supplied with this plane, transmitter, reciever or charger!
    yes...set "reverse" on the channels that work backwards when set to "normal" helpful, I know

the RX channels each has a +, - and signal pin...it's whether the signal pin is "high" or "low" relative to the control that makes the difference to the ESC and the only way to change that is by "reversing" the channel. As far as servos go, one laying on it's right side will work opposite of an identical one laying on it's left side..if your plane has aileron servos that lay on their side, you can see this...the top of servos are usually either facing both toward the fuselage or both toward the wingtip so they work opposite each other
    I have several planes that I fly using my FS-TH9X transmitter (some with a FrSky TX module others with the stock FlySky TX module)
    ...some planes work "the same way"...other planes need a channel or two or all reversed...fortunately my TX allows me to save the set of "reverse" and "normal" channel settings for each plane...
    ...this is why you always, always, ALWAYS want to check your control surfaces are working in the proper direction before each and every flight...nothing worse than having a channel set wrong and having the plane do the exact opposite of what you intended...my occasionally "dumb thumbs" are bad enough on their own without the added help of having them "do it right" and still crash the plane
    4 CH Dynam C-47
    4 CH FMS/Airfield 800mm P-40
    4 CH FMS/Airfield 800mm F4U
    4 CH Dynam Tigermoth
    5 CH Dynam 1200mm Spitfire

Dynam Tx Stock
    FlySky-Th9X Stock
    FlySky-Th9X with FrSky TX module

Platinum Member
    The servo/throttle position is set by the duration of the pulse on the signal pin, and, yes, some manufacturers define a pulse shorter than mid-duration as moving the opposite direction of others. To make matters more interesting, some servos move opposite others, given the same signal, so, if you have a servo fail, you may find the replacement now moves 'the wrong way'. This is often a problem when replacing aileron servos; if there are two, and one breaks, it's best to replace them in pairs.