Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WLToys v959 V222 ... an improvement?

Newbie Member

WLToys v959 V222 ... an improvement?

Has anyone yet noticed if the V222 update of the v959 is a genuine improvement in handling? What does "6-axis" mean?

I have two of the v959 and notice substantial throttle-lag and instability when descending. This is a problem when videoing wildlife such as bee and osprey nests, rabbits deer and bear, as well as large wind turbines.

Does the V222 version allow more responsive throttle input with descent stability?

Legendary Member
    Hi gdunn..I`m not sure if anything can be done about the lag between input and response , I`m getting use to it , but it still gets me into trouble .

Do you use GWS rotor blades ? I am now and I think they are great . No wod like I was getting , but I think these quads are prone to wobble when descending while hovering .
    Mal

and she said " What are you doin today ? ".
    and I said " Nothing ".
    and she said " But you did that yesterday ".
    and I said "I haven`t finished yet ".

F103 Avatar co-ax......loved it
    NE Solo Pro 260A fp...lovin it
    Walkera V200D01 fp...learnin it
    Walkera Mini cp.........likin it a lot
    WL V959 Quad...........lightin it up
    450 Flamewheel........lookin to fpv

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mally99 View Post
    ... Do you use GWS rotor blades ? I am now and I think they are great . No wod like I was getting , but I think these quads are prone to wobble when descending while hovering .
    Just using default blade set at this time, but am very interested in upgrading. May I ask precisely what model numbers of blades you're using on http://www.gwsus.com/english/product.../propeller.htm as well as any installation gotchas? I'm assuming the new blade hubs require some mods?

Legendary Member
    gd...I`m using these orange and black ones . They are listed as being for the V949 but fit the V959 without any modding . In fact I don`t use the locking screw on the blades , they are quite a snug fit on the shaft and haven`t come off at all . They do need balancing but .

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-GW...r-p-64889.html
    Mal

and I said " Nothing ".

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mally99 View Post
    gd...I`m using these orange and black ones . They are listed as being for the V949 but fit the V959 without any modding . In fact I don`t use the locking screw on the blades , they are quite a snug fit on the shaft and haven`t come off at all . They do need balancing but .

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-GW...r-p-64889.html
    What benefit is there to using those blades vs. the stock v959 blades, please?

Newbie Member
    I should've read the reviews on the page you referenced before replying ... it sounds as if the GWS blades substantially improve the flight characteristics of the v959, so I've ordered several sets as well as the "updated" V222 version of the v959.

As a beginner, I'd like to ask again please: What does "6-axis" mean ... 6 channel capabilities?
    Last edited by gdunn; 06-11-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Hi there! 6 axis refers to the gyro that is in the helicopter, quadcopter, or plane and pertains to how many directions the gyro will stabilize whatever it is in. The picture below is what a 3 axis gyro controls:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5112d375ce395ff927000002.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	8388

I believe that a 6 axis gyro means that each of the axis's in the above picture also have accelerometers meaning each of those rotational axis now also measure and correct speed along those axis's.

Hope that clears that one up for you
    Lauren

Currently flying:
    DJI Flame Wheel 450 w/ NAZA-M Lite/GPS, FatShark v2 FPV with Immersion 600mW VTx (In Repair)
    Y-6 Scorpion with NAZA M V2 w/GPS, Afro 30a ESC, 3DR motors, Tarot T2D with GoPro 3+ Silver (Flying)
    ParkZone Radian motor/glider (Flying)
    FlyZone Cessna Corvalis 350 (Flying)
    FreeWing Seagull (Flying)
    Freewing Pandora (Flying)
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/RobisonRacing68

Legendary Member
    Here is a review of the V222 and some discussion on he quad . Hope this helps .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1876694
    Mal

and I said " Nothing ".

Newbie Member
    Thanks for the review link. I received the v959 V222 today, gave it a thorough pre-flight and made a few simple test flights using the factory blades, as the GWS ones haven't yet arrived.

I find myself very discouraged to find that on every single flight, sometimes even at ranges no more than 25 feet with a freshly-charged battery, there is intermittent loss of control signal or function that causes the quadcopter's motors to completely stop so that it simply falls from the sky. I'm testing in an un-mown grassy field at this time so no damage is happening, but if this happens over hard surfaces it will certainly break the motor carbon-fiber tubes or other parts.

I have sent it out about 300 ft. at 25 ft. altitude and returned it successfully as I'll do while videoing herds of deer and the occasional bear, but that control cut-out is going to be catastrophic in some of the venues where I need to fly this thing for aerial videoing. It's the same problem that the 53" GT Model QS8006 has.

I'll let banggood.com know there is a problem, but am not looking forward to such interaction. I was hoping the thing would just work, and then even better when the GWS blades arrive.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    Hi there! 6 axis refers to the gyro that is in the helicopter, quadcopter, or plane and pertains to how many directions the gyro will stabilize whatever it is in. The picture below is what a 3 axis gyro controls:
    I believe that a 6 axis gyro means that each of the axis's in the above picture also have accelerometers meaning each of those rotational axis now also measure and correct speed along those axis's.

Hope that clears that one up for you
    Yes it does, thank you. So the v959 as a "4-axis" implies the gyro is stabilizng the yaw or rotation about the z axis, while the 6-axis with accelerometers should stabilize around all three axes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast