Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blade 120 SR Upgrades/Mods

Platinum Member

Cool Blade 120 SR Upgrades/Mods

Hi,

Just made a deal to trade for a Blade 120 Sr,I have been wanting one of these for a while and now it's in the mail. It has plenty of upgrades, like a RKH Frame,Two swashplates a Microheli and a RKH swashplate. Which brings me to question number one( does anyone have this bird and any of these two swashplates installed, if so can you tell me your opinion of it and how they stack up against each other, trying to decide which one to install.) It also has an extreme metal main rotor hub, which brings me to question number two, (does anyone have this bird with this part installed and will it be able to pair with a set of RKH blade grips which also comes with the heli) it also comes with a new stock flybar and a RKH flybar which brings me to question number three, ( how does the RKH flybar perform , does it stay away from the dreaded TBE) it also has the xtreme upgrade 120 motor. Anyway hope to have it soon and install the new bling filled performance? upgrades. Also looking at the RKH tail boom support any advice for a new owner of the Blade 120 SR and what upgrades, mods to get/do and what to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ray
    U-Control: Silver Bullet, Nine Eagles: Solo Pro V1 & V2 260a, Nine Eagles: Free Spirit 220a,E-Sky: HBFP V2, Walkera: Genius CP
    Dynam: E Razor 450 CF

i flew a 120sr on my dx8 this week and i honestly wouldnt upgrade anything, would just be waste of money.

use it to get all hover oreintations 100% then get something else.

flying in the driveway i never notice a toilet bowl effect and with a slight breese going so slight i was full cyclic to just maintain a hover. i then whipped out the mcpx and the guy was amazed he didnt fly either and the 120sr was his

120sr is perfectly good as stock bird it is what is is and no amount of mods will change that, its just a big msr
    Last edited by evanmiller03; 04-01-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evanmiller03 View Post
    i flew a 120sr on my dx8 this week and i honestly wouldnt upgrade anything, would just be waste of money.

use it to get all hover oreintations 100% then get something else.

flying in the driveway i never notice a toilet bowl effect and with a slight breese going so slight i was full cyclic to just maintain a hover. i then whipped out the mcpx and the guy was amazed he didnt fly either and the 120sr was his

120sr is perfectly good as stock bird it is what is is and no amount of mods will change that, its just a big msr
    Evan,
    Have to differ with you my friend.
    That's not what the other forums are saying about this bird and the RKH, Microheli, Xtreme upgrades. For instance I have learned that the Micro heli swash has more throw than stock and the RKH has even more throw than the micro heli swash depending where you place the links (inner or outer balls on the swash) and that the cnc head offers more precision less slop also the RKH flybar. I also hear that the boom supports improves tail manuvers (more crisp) somewhat and offer more resistance to breaking the boom in the event of a hard landing. The RKH frame is stronger and lighter too. This all coming from 120 SR owners who fly this bird on a regular basis. I'm sure you've seen helis that benefit from some mod or upgrade and I'm thinking the 120 SR is one of them. It looks as though I will be upgrading and keeping this heli for a while as that's where I'm at (between flying 4 channel fixed pitch and the Genius.) I still enjoy the fixed pitch experience. To each his own.

Now how about it anyone with a 120 sr with upgrades like this want to chime in or better yet chime in and show us your 120 sr in a pic.
    U-Control: Silver Bullet, Nine Eagles: Solo Pro V1 & V2 260a, Nine Eagles: Free Spirit 220a,E-Sky: HBFP V2, Walkera: Genius CP

Legendary Member
    hi ray, i don't have one but i was also under the impression that the 120 does fly lik the msr.. i flew the msr really fast and whipped a lot of turns.. i bet the 120 probably does the same but in a bigger version.. good luck and let us know how it flies..

Official Member
    The Blade 120SR is a big mSR. It was the first 4 channel heli that I flew. It is extremely stable due to the 45 degree flybar and is extremely durable in a crash.

This is only me, but I didn't put extra money into upgrades because after flying it for a week I knew that I was going to outgrow it very quickly. I really like a challenge and the 120SR is not a challenge for me.

I only posted this information because I have experience with this helicopter.

I have said it before and will say it again: Whatever heli you fly, weather it is a 3 channel coax or a 700 size 3D helicopter, if you are having fun with it it is the right helicopter for you.

Upgrade, rebuild, have fun!!!
    __________________________________________________ ___

Ken

Blade MSR X with MCP X tail
    DX6i

Quote Originally Posted by kenfrisbee View Post
    The Blade 120SR is a big mSR. It was the first 4 channel heli that I flew. It is extremely stable due to the 45 degree flybar and is extremely durable in a crash.

This is only me, but I didn't put extra money into upgrades because after flying it for a week I knew that I was going to outgrow it very quickly. I really like a challenge and the 120SR is not a challenge for me.

I only posted this information because I have experience with this helicopter.

I have said it before and will say it again: Whatever heli you fly, weather it is a 3 channel coax or a 700 size 3D helicopter, if you are having fun with it it is the right helicopter for you.

Upgrade, rebuild, have fun!!!
    i don't have this heli but the comment that Kenfrisbee said makes alot of sense " if you are having fun tha all that counts". Let people have fun and they will grow in the hobby no heli is perfect unless you spend big bucks.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    hi ray, i don't have one but i was also under the impression that the 120 does fly lik the msr.. i flew the msr really fast and whipped a lot of turns.. i bet the 120 probably does the same but in a bigger version.. good luck and let us know how it flies..
    Thanks Bully,
    This 120 Sr was acquired in a trade and I get the bird and a lot of upgrade performance/bling parts in the deal just trying to put them to the best use.
    If the bird flys fast in stock form, then I really want to see the difference in flight with the RKH swash on it with the longer throw. I'll do some testing and let you know and get some pics out when I put a new canopy on it. It should look and perform pretty good I hope.
    Till then lets see some pics yall

Legendary Member

Msr

Like i said, if the MSR flies like the 120, which i believe it does, then in the right hands it will fly some blurring speeds in FFF (WOOOOOSH).. this is a vid i did a long time ago and a lousy one but it does depict "WOOOOOSH" i'm sure that if i get my hands on the 120 in the stock form and if it has outside balls on the swash.. i will do some FLYING because i'm way better than before.. LOL

You go Ray!

The 120 SR is like a big mSR. It's a little more stable and takes a bit longer to get moving due to it's greater mass, but once it gets moving, it moves!! I flew mine a lot before I got my mCPXs, but it sits on the shelf a lot these days. The only mods I did to it was the Xtreme ball bearing motor, Xtreme antirotation collar, and the Xtreme rotor hub. Oh, and micro Dean's so I could use the same lipos on it and my mCPxs. It flew as well as I wanted it to after those mods, so I never modded it any further... One other thing, these helis are tough for their size. I only broke one landing skid, a tail motor, and 2 or 3 blades in all the time I flew it. Oh, and a canopy or two. Canopies don't hold up well in cold weather....
    Marty

Trex 500 flybarless, Tarot 450 Pro Flybarless, EXI 450 v3, Trex 250 Flybarless, HBFP X 2, Blade CX2, Blade 120 SR, Blade mSR X 2, Blade mCX2 X2, mCPXv1 brushless C05m, mCPX brushless HP05s, mCPX v2 stock

Newbie Member
    Hi Ray.... I also have a 120... and I have to agree that right out of the box this bird is very stable and agile... my friend has changed his fly bar to a aftermarket aluminum and I dont see where it flys any different..... enjoy it its a ball to fly
    Syma 032 (great first heilo)
    Syma 033G (good heilo good size can be flown outside in light wind 3-5mph)
    Blade 120SR (this is fun)
    Blade CX (cannot fly this damn thing)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast