Thread: Minimizing Vibes on Quad for camera use

Minimizing Vibes on Quad for camera use

1) Balance your props. You really need a magentic prop balancer here because the props are very light.
    2) Make sure your motor bell and the prop adaptors are perfectly straight. Any bending can cause even a balanced prop to vibrate.
    3) Isolate the controller board from the frame using foam tape. In extreme cases, Zeal tape can be used.
    4) use a more expensive Graupner prop instead of the inexpensive slow fly type props.
    5) Isolate the camera mount from the frame using Zeal tape, but have a backup plan if the Zeal tape comes lose. Strap with chord or velcro lightly enough to hold it if Zeal Tape fails.

Quote Originally Posted by dditch66 View Post
    1) Balance your props. You really need a magentic prop balancer here because the props are very light.
    2) Make sure your motor bell and the prop adaptors are perfectly straight. Any bending can cause even a balanced prop to vibrate.
    3) Isolate the controller board from the frame using foam tape. In extreme cases, Zeal tape can be used.
    4) use a more expensive Graupner prop instead of the inexpensive slow fly type props.
    5) Isolate the camera mount from the frame using Zeal tape, but have a backup plan if the Zeal tape comes lose. Strap with chord or velcro lightly enough to hold it if Zeal Tape fails.
    Dynamic balancing of the motors "spin balancing" is another good way to get smooth.
    My stable includes these heli's so far

Syma S-107 "The one that got me started"

Syma SO31 "2 of them"

Syma SO33G

Eflite EF-135 "Blade MCX" clone

Walkera 4F200LM

Walkera CB-180D

Walkera UFLYS

Erazor 450

2 Solo Pro II V-1's "In Blue and in Red"

Walkera Lama 3 Collective Pitch Co-Axial

Walkera MX-400- Quad

Turbo Ace X830s Quad

XAircraft X650V-4 Quad "GPS & Auto Pilot"

Also keep motor bearings unchecked and lubed. No teal reason to balance all the props when a vibe is created infront of them

Evan..... How would one accomplish this? I have tried balancing my props without a magnetic balancer..... I haven't found one yet so I don't know where to get one. I'm sure my props aren't completely balanced but they are better off than before but I think my motors need balancing also. Does anyone here balance their motors with copper balancing tape? Or another method....
    I'm not fpv yet but I strap my spare iphone 3gs on the quad and after all my effort so far I have a crazy vibe going thu the entire frame. Its so bad that you can barley see whats being recorded. Some bubble wrap has helped smooth things out but I don't think that would work with a gopro when I get one.
    Until I get the proper tools I'm stuck with this vibration problem... is there a way I can make a decent diy magnetic balance device?? My budget is super low since the kids got spoiled on christmas..... so I won't be able to get the proper tools for a month or so. I would really like to be able to put a gopro h3 on the quad with out using zeal tape, foam, or even the handy bubble wrap.... JimTreg has a flame wheel hex that's awesomely smooth and I would like to stop being in envy of that.... lolololol If it means I have to wait for real tools than so be it I can do that but we all have a bit of hacking in us and I'm sure that a more experienced pilot might have done this.
    Your help is much appreciated!!!!!!
    Last edited by blackwing; 01-04-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    Lets get airborne and have safe fun!
    HT-FPV quad with NAZA-m and GPS, Gopro hero3gimbal, 500mw a/v tx/rx, screw planar antennas, AR8000 rx
    Spektrum Dx7s 9" LCD monitor, 3200mAh, 5300mAh lipos
    Eagle 50 with oem parts and Wk-2602
    Eagle 50 with turnigy motors and ESCs, super skidz, & Wk-2601- parts only
    Heli-Max 1SQ MICRO QUAD, DoubleHorse 9101 and Traxxas Grave Digger for my wife.

Here is one close to the one I use for my Hexa,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Turnigy-...item25790e6f4d
    Trex 500 / MD500 4 blade NAZA H GPS scale - Trex 500 EC135 4 blade NAZA H GPS scale -Walkera 450 Bell 222 scale - Walkera 400 5 blade - DJI ext 550 NAZA V1 GPS - Custom Y6 NAZA GPS - Custom X8 NAZA V2 GPS - Custom Quad NAZA Lite GPS.

What about motor balance? I tried to balance the motors and this has helped a lot and I got the GoPro hero 3 silver and the videos are awesome but I handled the quad too much one day and threw off the balance on a couple motors so now I have a bouncing GoPro..... I haven't gotten a proper mount for my quad, just a working one. I basically suspended the mount from the display case in the "x" formation mid way between center and front end, it works better than I expected and I get great videos when the motors aren't oscillating wildly enough to produce vibes. I'm looking and waiting for a 2 axis mount, when I get said mount I will permanently mount the cam in a centered location.

so I forgot to mention that I had to use the longest mounting bracket that was supplied with the cam to make the mount work so with the cam being extended so far outward from the mount it creates a bouncing effect that annoys me...
    Thanks for the link JT......
    Lets get airborne and have safe fun!
    HT-FPV quad with NAZA-m and GPS, Gopro hero3gimbal, 500mw a/v tx/rx, screw planar antennas, AR8000 rx
    Spektrum Dx7s 9" LCD monitor, 3200mAh, 5300mAh lipos
    Eagle 50 with oem parts and Wk-2602
    Eagle 50 with turnigy motors and ESCs, super skidz, & Wk-2601- parts only
    Heli-Max 1SQ MICRO QUAD, DoubleHorse 9101 and Traxxas Grave Digger for my wife.

Here is the mount I built and there is no vibration at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera mt.A.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	7201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera mt.B.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	7202
    Trex 500 / MD500 4 blade NAZA H GPS scale - Trex 500 EC135 4 blade NAZA H GPS scale -Walkera 450 Bell 222 scale - Walkera 400 5 blade - DJI ext 550 NAZA V1 GPS - Custom Y6 NAZA GPS - Custom X8 NAZA V2 GPS - Custom Quad NAZA Lite GPS.

Newbie Member
    All,

Balancing props, motors etc are a good thing but there is a much better way to get rid of the Jello effect. That is to use an ND4 filter to reduce the light intake of your camera. Here is a link that better explains this. http://www.multirotorforums.com/show...9666#post89666

Official Member
    Thanks for taking time for sharing this
    it was excellent and very informative,i got very informations from this