Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone flying sailplanes with a Turnigy 9X radio?

Bronze Member

Cool Anyone flying sailplanes with a Turnigy 9X radio?

Turnigy 9X - for sailplanes?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
    No, I am not looking for a new radio, but this radio is so inexpensive
    and has such a feature rich offering, on paper, that I was wondering if it was
    good enough to recommend to new glider pilots who can not afford a
    more expensive sailplane radio.

The Turnigy 9X costs costs $60 including an 8 channel receiver. It
    says it has sailplane SW, but what a manual tells me is not what a
    pilot on the sticks can tell me about using it for full house
    sailplanes.

The radios I most often recommend are the Futaba 8FG, JR 9503, Hitec
    Aurora 9 or Artronics SD-10G. But not all new pilots can afford them.
    If this 9X is reliable it might make a good alternative to a Spektrum
    DX6i, which is what many start with who are on limited budgets.

Does the Turnigy 9X cut it? Is it reliable? Does it have the mixes a
    sport or entry level competition pilot might want?

Please don't tell me about other radios. I am not interested in
    hearing about them. I am interested in hearing about this one from an
    actual owner/user who has some experience with it. The report can be
    negative or positive, I don't care. I just want to know what you
    think.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Ed Anderson
    Eternally in Research Mode

Banned
    I don't know about T9X flying a full house glider. but add 45.00 upgrade the firmware to er9x. It is more than capable handling just about any plane/glider/heli.

http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread....ions-and-links

If someone recommend you those Tx, er9x can match them for programablility. fancy stuff like sd card, 60 model memory.. NO. 16 model memory , yes. touch screen, no.
    It is all up to your programming capability.
    Basically it is a computer programming language, if you can describe it, you can program it.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I don't know about T9X flying a full house glider. but add 45.00 upgrade the firmware to er9x. It is more than capable handling just about any plane/glider/heli.

http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread....ions-and-links

If someone recommend you those Tx, er9x can match them for programablility. fancy stuff like sd card, 60 model memory.. NO. 16 model memory , yes. touch screen, no.
    It is all up to your programming capability.
    Basically it is a computer programming language, if you can describe it, you can program it.
    I am not sure what this programmer does? Do I need to start writing assembly code or something? Why do I want this?

If I don't actually write the firmware code than where would I use this thing? Really, I don't understand.

Bronze Member
    OK, after some more reading I see this is a tool for loading open source SW. DEFINATELY NOT what I want to get a newbie into. Heck, I would not want to get into that. I just want it to work, not help develop it.

Banned
    It is already developed. It is working already. It is just more function/capabilities are being added to it day after day. You don't need to update to latest version if you don't need the latest function. It is at some where version 68x now. if you use version 4xx. it will do what a glider needs to do. but if you need to have more function that is newly developed, update to the new version and all your old setting will still work, but you can add more setting as you wish.
    That is the beauty of an open source code.
    using Sepectrum, Futaba, Hitec...., if they have a new function, they put out a new tx. You find out you need that new function, you have to buy a new Tx. Not with er9x, if you have no use for newer function, leave it alone. if you want the newer function, you update to new version. (some function do need related hardware to be modded at the same time).

'a tool for loading open source SW' is the SP board (45.00), so you can update your software without soldering a Rs232 connector to the circuit board and get a programer. just plug it in the Tx.

For a newbie, it is even better. A newbie has no idea what a flap is, an offset is, a flaperon is. you teach them from day one what that is. they take it. But an 'experienced' person, he/she is already 'trained' with old ways/terminology. it is hard to train them again. Just like a Sectrum guy would hate a Futaba or vise versa.
    Last edited by Kaos; 03-03-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
    I am not sure what this programmer does? Do I need to start writing assembly code or something? Why do I want this?

If I don't actually write the firmware code than where would I use this thing? Really, I don't understand.
    Do you do mixes when program your glider/plane? that is what the 'programmer' does, a powerful mixes tool. Whne you do your tx 'programming' that is a programer.
    I don't write the firmware code either. I use the Tx. It is the same thing like you are programming your glider/plane only it is more powerful than most Tx. No one needs to write assembly code using it. But you do need to 'program' a tx to do what you want to do. Just like you need to program a DX8 to do norm, id1, id2, gear down , gear up. no difference there.

edit: May be I misundertood what you mean by 'programmer'. if you mean the SP board. It is not a programmer. it is an interface card added to the T9X so you can flash the T9x firmware to er9x firmware. then you use the same Tx, only now it has the er9x firmware in it. and you use it just like a new Tx with different software in it. you can actually remove it , if you don't want to backup your model settings to a computer or update to newer firmware which has more function/capability.
    Last edited by Kaos; 03-03-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
    OK, after some more reading I see this is a tool for loading open source SW.
    I think you need to read more. check out http://9xforums.com/forum/ and see what is all that about.

Back to the question. I have and use my Turnigy 9X and my primary TX. I have 8 RX and more then that mary planes. I fly from 800mm warbirds up to 1830mm B-17 mutiengine. I have noy used the sailplane mode, but haven't heard of any problems with it. I have had my 9x for over a year and haven't had any trouble with it. Never had a glitch or any range issues. I think it is a great starter radio and a big improvement over the stock radio.

Dave F
    Farmer's Flying Service

Bronze Member
    Dave F, what RF module are you using? Is it the Turnigy module? I hear a lot of people move to the FrSky module. What firmware release?

What radio did you use before this? Can you compare ease of use? Again, I am targeting this to newbies.

-------------------------------------------

Kaos, your posts are not what I was looking for but are incredibly helpful. I had not idea this was an open source platform when I first posted to the forum. This explains why all the discussions I have read had a huge amount of discussion about reprogramming, soldering, boards and the like. Sounded like this was a broken system and everyone was trying to figure out how to fix it.

Now you have put it into context.

So the basic radio is sold under 3-4 different names. They all work somewhat alike, but there are different code streams available and you can upload them if you have the programming interface.

Kinda like iPAD vs. Android.

My wife had an iPAD. Fantasticly easy to use but there were things you could not do and likely would never be able to do because Apple would not support them.

So she got an Android table. It is very capable but no where as easy to use as the iPAD. We went to an Android seminar at Verizon and the people teaching the seminar could not show her how to do the things that she had done on the iPAD in the first week. Each phone/table was just different enough to create confusion.

So, if we use that analogy, I want to hand a newbie a lowcost iPAD, not a flexible but somewhat difficult to use Android for a radio, if you understand what I mean. Sounds like this would be good for someone who can deal with these kinds of issues.

I would also be concerned about code quality. I am in the computer busienss and it took Linux a long time to become stable and for the quality of the "contributed" code to reach the level of commercial UNIX. Now it is just about there, at a much lower cost and the world is adopting Linux. Sounds like this system is getting there, but may not be quite there yet.
    Last edited by aeajr; 03-04-2012 at 06:02 AM.

I have 4 turnigy 8x RXs and 4 flysky 6b RXs. Both work well, the flysky are smaller and work better in tight spaces.
    I used the dynam 72mhz and the art-tech 2.4. Both came with RTF. If you are just using 6 channel with not mixing it is straight forward. Haven't got into mixing channels yet, but lots of help on this board when I need that.

Dave F
    Farmer's Flying Service

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast