Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Step after Syma S107G

Next Step after Syma S107G

I have been enjoying the heck out of my S107G. I want to take the next logical step, which is something bigger I can fly outside.

I have my eye on the S033G. However, I have been reading all the threads and reviews I can find, and now I'm torn... from what I am reading it seems the older 11.1v version is better, and has the awesome chaser lights on the tail, but the newer 7.4v verison is less likely to burn up. I have also been reading about a lot of users having trouble with the radio cutting in and out which has me bothered.

I found a source for the older model... just leery about pulling the trigger now.

I am wanting to stick with the "Mode 4" controls since that is how I learned on my S107... so I am not aware of what other brands sell models with that control scheme. The Syma S033G reviews I have read claim it flys better than comproble models form other vendors, but of course nobody has flown them all.

I also thought about trying to find the S800G. It's another indoor model but adds a 4th channel for horizontal flight. But I really think I want to take this hobby outside... and I think night flights with the older 11.1v S033G with all the lights will be really cool.

Any advice? Any other brands or models I should be considering? The only other one with lighs as cool is the Sky King 8501, but I have read more than one review saying the Syma S033G flys better.

Official Member
    I'm sure the S033g is a good helicopter as it's pretty much a bigger version of the S107, and the S107 is great. I have not flown the S033G though. Are you looking to fly 4 channel helicopters? The S033G is not a 4 channel. if you are looking to fly 4 channel helicopters i would recommend getting a Solo Pro 260A http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20138, which is a micro 4 channel heli that will fly indoors and outdoors. I just got into this hobby as well and it's a good 4 channel to learn on. Also i would recommend learning how to fly using mode 2. it will take some getting used to but it'll just make it so much easier for you to buy helicopters without having to worry about changing the mode on the transmitter. It is a little different but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. Also when looking at new helicopters, you also want to look at the availability of spare parts. There are a lot of websites with spare parts for the Solo Pro 260A, which also makes it a good choice to start on. Also another thing to consider is if you want a fixed pitch helicopter, like this Solo Pro or a coaxial like the S107/S033. If you want a coaxial, i've heard good things about the ESky Big Lama.
    Jim

Syma S107, Solo Pro 260A

I second the Solo Pro as well as getting used to the Mode 2 setup. It may seem difficult at first, but most 4 to 6 channel setups in the U.S. revolve around the mode 2 configuration. If you are looking for something larger than a 4 channel that will fit in your palm though, how about the coaxial ESky Big Lama, or the Fixed Pitch Walkera CB180D?
    MASTER ORBIWAN (Duane)
    -MD500 Coax
    -120 SR
    -CB180D
    -HBV2
    -EXI 450 Sport
    -Solo Pro 2

how much do you wanna spend mega? Im with orb, the solo pro is very durable, cheap and available parts, still waiting on warlock to get the low down on the lama 3 co ax,,,,if i were you mega i would go ahead and move into the 4 channel models, you will have more fun, Name:  h26.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  16.0 KB

solopro 260 or the new solopro 270A there around the same money
    HAPPY FLYING

Thanks for the input... you all defiantly have me thinking now... On the one hand, I still enjoy, and expect to continue enjoying my Syma S107G... so that is why I am a little resistant to switching to "Mode 2" controls... but on the other hand... 99% out there are mode 2, so it does open up a lot of new possibilities.

So what I really gotta decide is: How far am I going to take this hobby. If I can stay happy with cheap Syma helis, then I'll stick with mode 4... they do have a 4 channel indoor model... I linked it in my first post, the S800G, which is still using mode 4. But if I wanna go outdoor, and stay with mode 2, I can only do 3-ch (as far as I know). But for a low speed heli, I don't see 4-ch as that big of a deal... and I don't expect to ever get into any sort of 3D or acrobatic flying.

Then there is the fact it's dark by the time I get home from work, so I really want something with lights so I can fly outside and at night... which is one reason I have my eye on the older model of the S033G (since it has better lights).

I did research the Big Lama already based on some other posts I'd seen here, and now I've looked at the Solo Pro (which I like, thanks for the suggestion). But neither have lights from what I can tell, and the Solo Pro seems too small for outdoors?

I do not see myself ever going for a fixed pitch system, as I think the skill required will be a turnoff. I am not really interested in learning the complexities of flying a “real” heli, I just want something fun to casually fly around the house, and in the future, outside.

So, refining my criteria a bit:

Assuming I will stick to mode 4, what choices besides Syma are there, or does that criteria alone lock me into that brand?

Assuming I don't stick with mode 4, what is the best beginner outdoor heli for flying at night?

Newbie Member
    i have the 033G and the 107G...

the 033G is an outside flying machine (but can be flown inside if you use descretion and have really good control)

i've now got it grounded to replace gears as they were stripped from too many crashes abruptly stopping the rotors.

what's my point?

the 033G, IMO, is much more dificult to fly than the 107...at least that's been my experience.

the 033G as it comes from the box, is quite powerful and as such, it is more 'delicate' to control.

i must admit, though...i didn't quite know what to expect from the 033G the first time i flew it. WOW! up! up! and away! when i applied the throttle!

i can't wait to get it back in the air, though!

donwalk,

Thanks for the short review. Do you have the 11.1v version with lights on the tail, or the 7.4v version with only lights on the sides?

I have pretty much decided to get the S033G, but now I'm obsessing about the lights, and my source for the 11.1v version is gone (it was an eBay auction) so now I'm trying to decide if I should just go for the 7.4v one, or keep searching for someone that still has the older more powerful one in stock.

heli pal has the 11.1 in stock, never had a problem with them,,http://www.helipal.com/syma-s033g-bi...nadt8h2nufos02

these guys are hit and miss, but the 11.1 is available and freaght is cheaper than helipal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.bananahobby.com/2220.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast