Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EXI 450 and FlySky FS-TH9X Setup guide

EXI 450 and FlySky FS-TH9X Setup guide

Ok For those of you who are building an EXI and hooking up your Flysky FS-TH9X radio heres how I did it

Interesting note – The throttle cut switch ( back left ) is in flight mode when switch is away from you and safety mode when towards you. However the radio will not turn on with the switch towards you so the radio turns on with armed throttle!! ( this caused Erazor damage )

This was using Tower Pro servos, you may have to reverse all the servo reverse settings is you are using different ones

All switches on TX away from you

Receiver assignments
    1) Aileron (Pitch) Front Right (Starboard) collective servo
    2) Elevator rear collective servo
    3) Throttle
    4) Rudder
    5) Gyro gain ( single wire to sticker side of the receiver)
    6) Pitch (Aileron ) Front Left (Port )collective servo

From System Settings -> Type
    Choose Heli then type 3-1

Function -> Reverse Menu
    All normal except for PIT which is reversed.

Function ->Throttle hold
    ACT ( this makes the left rear switch a throttle safety)
    HOD POS 0.0%

Function-> Swash AFR
    No negative values
    Pit 60
    Ail 50
    Ele 50
    ( less aggressive settings )

Function ->endpoints
    Adjust so the rudder does not bottom out either side

Function-> Throttle curve
    for normal

Function-> Pitch curve
    for normal

These are the preliminaries,Just setting up heli in the workshop. might have to adjust the throttle and pitch curves . I'll edit if appropriate. I haven’t set the Id 1 and ID 2 curves yet ( for 3D )

Banned
    what is your pitch angle? cyclic angle?

adjust your collective <+12 and cyclic less than +8 degree. If you are new, set the collective at 10 would be quite enough. you need pitch gauge to do all this.
    up to your preference. When you set up your pitch curve in norm, use your pitch gauge so you get a couple degree negative at bottom stick and a couple degrees at mid stick.
    I set mines at -1 +1 +12

Don't forget you do have a pitch curve in T9X with throttle hold 'ON' (4 pitch curves, norm, ID1, ID2, TH-on). so you still can control your heli with throttle hold 'ON". if you only fly in norm now you can set it the same as norm, but once you fly in ID, you may want that curve to be the same as ID1/2.

It is a safety feature for T9X, all the switches need to be awasy from you (off) otherwise it won't even start the TX. Get used to turn that throttle hold on once the Tx boot up so you won't start the motor by accident.

depends on which heli model you have, the 'reverse' may be different in different heli so are the AFR(could be negative instead of positive). reverse the servo or change the number to opposite number if the swash is not turning correctly.
    Last edited by Kaos; 02-05-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Banned
    set your rudder endpoint at + - 100. endpoint for rudder does not limit the slider movement, it reduce/increase the piro rate. you limit your slider movement using the gyro. sometimes I have to increase the number to 115 or 120 to get the piro rate fast enough in one direction or the other.

Thanks for the gyro advise. I have not tried my GY48 yet so the endpoint limit is what I would do for the GY192 ( dynam ) which only has a gain. Kaos should i try and adjust my collective to where the arms and flybar caddie are all horizontal as suggested by Mikeys RC? If so I need to get new swash to collective links as these are too long.

EXI 450 and FS-TH9X Setup Mode 2
    I must have changed something in my sleep, after writing the above I realized that somehow the transmitter had defaulted to Mode 1 (throttle on right ) here it is for mode 2!! Of course I didn’t realize this cause motor was disconnected due to experience from above!

Receiver assignments
    1) Aileron (Pitch) Front Right(Starboard) collective servo
    2) Elevator rear collective servo
    3) Throttle
    4) Rudder
    5) Gyro gain ( single wire to sticker side of the receiver)
    6) Pitch (Aileron ) Front Left (Port )collective servo

From System Settings -> Type
    Choose Heli then type 3-1

Function -> Reverse Menu
    All normal except for PIT and ELE which is reversed.

Function ->Throttle hold
    ACT ( this makes the left rear switch a throttle safety)
    HOD POS 0.0%

Function-> Swash AFR
    No negative values
    Pit - 60
    Ail 50
    Ele - 50
    ( less aggressive settings )

Function-> Throttle curve
    for normal

Function-> Pitch curve
    for normal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by himilou View Post
    Thanks for the gyro advise. I have not tried my GY48 yet so the endpoint limit is what I would do for the GY192 ( dynam ) which only has a gain. Kaos should i try and adjust my collective to where the arms and flybar caddie are all horizontal as suggested by Mikeys RC? If so I need to get new swash to collective links as these are too long.
    Yes. What Mikeys RC showed is generic for just about every cp. some minor differences for different heli.

all the arms on the head assembly should be level with your swash by adjusting linkage rods. Pay attention the both end of the connector should have at least 4-5 turns engaged on the rod or they may come off under stress. You can adjust the connector at both ends to the length you need. The linkage rods in the kit should be just right. You should not need to change these linkage rods. if you use a specific length from MikeRC, that may be the problem. different heli has a little different length for rod legnth to swash and sometimes differs from servo to servo you use.

In principle:
    makes sure you either disconnect your tail servo or the gyro is at rate mode at this time for setting up your heli (except the tail) and disconnect your motor from ESC. YOu don't need the motor to setup the head. It is for safety, so you won't accidentally spin up the rotor.(It can happen, trust me. You don't want to learn this one by experience. ).
    at ID1:
    A.with head off, set your swash level with swash leveler at midstick using 'subtrim'. then set the swash level at top stick then bottom stick 'before' you put the head on. After this, don't touch the subtrim or limit for your cyclics.
    B.then put the head on. now adjust all the rods above swash to make those arm parallel to the level swash at mid stick. This part may take a while. then, use AFR to set the highest AFR number without any binding (the swash not touching any thing, and servo won't be humming) at the top stick and bottom stick while moving the right stick the the extreme periphery.
    C. check with pitch gauge to see what collective pitch(angle measured when blades right on top the boo)m you have at top and bottom stick. if you have +-10 or above you will be fine. (to do +-12 degree is sometimes tricky for beginners) and cyclic pitch (measured at mid stick while the right stick goes to left or right extreme). the sum of both should be less than 21-20 degree. unless you have a pro, usually it is less or equal 20. for pro you can easily exceeds 20 , then you need to reduce one or the other.
    D. check both blades at mid stick and adjust linkage rods (the one connected to blade holder and the longe arm from swash to sf arm)until both blades are 0 degree (that will save you a lot of tracking time)
    E. while checking the pitch angle at top stick and bottom stick also check both blades with pitch gauge, they should be the same, or something is not right. At any stick position , both blade should have the same angle if measured at the same spot.

Once these are done. we can talk about set up the pitch at norm mode. have fun.
    Last edited by Kaos; 02-05-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Banned
    which EXI you have , by the way?

Thanks, my guess was correct, the linkages that came with the EXI were too long. even with the ends all the way in I had negative pitch w the swash at midpoint. See the previous post about Initial report. Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by himilou View Post
    EXI 450 and FS-TH9X Setup Mode 2
    I must have changed something in my sleep, after writing the above I realized that somehow the transmitter had defaulted to Mode 1 (throttle on right ) here it is for mode 2!! Of course I didn’t realize this cause motor was disconnected due to experience from above!
    this may be the problem. what it says on the screen when you turn on the Tx. says 'MODE 2' is not mode 2. it is 'MODEL number 2'. that is a misspelling , I don't know they correct that or not. You need to set the mode in the setup menu. the opening screen does not give you what 'mode' you set.
    If I remember correctly (have not set one up in T9X for a while after I swithc to er9x), you can set each model a different mode. select the model 1st before you set your mode to 2. you select MODEL 1 and set it to MODE 2. then you can select MODEL 3 and set that to MODE 3 if you want to. It is kind of odd. I have the the Turnigy 9X, but it should be the same as TH9X. just check it. I like to know if this is the same in both tx too.
    Last edited by Kaos; 02-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.

I have an erazor 450 and an EXI pro sport 25 http://www.xheli.com/18h17-exi450-sport.html
    Yeah I dint realize you had to set the radio mode per model, I ass u me d that it would be global. The Turnigy and FlySky are the same, I just couldn't wait for HK. They are still processing my order for an ESC 7 days now So I borrowed the razors!

Banned
    No point of waiting for HK. Turnigy 9X has the same misspelling. they are made by the same company just with different labels on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast