Thread: Large Outdoor Helicopter for beginners.

Newbie Member

Large Outdoor Helicopter for beginners.

Hello all,
    I am looking for a good sized outdoor Helicopter. One over 20 inches for sure.
    I realize it will have to be Co-Axial....or does it for a beginner? I have flown planes for two years. So I am used to running a 4 channel controler. But, I realize a Helicopter is still new to even the best Plane Pilots.
    So, what is the best (large) beginner Outside Helicopter?

Thank you,
    Don.

Legendary Member
    Do you have access to a simulator? That would be the best place to start... Flying a helicopter, especially a cheap helicopter, requires constant rudder inputs... Something most airplane pilots are not used to...

Coax helis can only be flown outdoors, in no wind... And you will quickly 'outgrow' it...

4ch helis can be a animal all their own, and some can be better than others..

6ch helis can be dangerous in the hands of a newbie, but are the closest to finding a stable platform... But can also be expensive to learn on...

Getting a simulator for cheap will save you lots of $$ in crash costs... I have seen a clone knock off of all sims for $20.. Includes phoenix, realflight, fms and the like...

the raptor 30s are known as good beginer helis. they are they can come as rtf as nitro 6 channel heli can come. the tx is set up tame from the factory on the rtf model and it has room to grow as your flying gets better.

id also highly recomend tons of time on the sime flying helicopters before you ever touch the real thing.

that said all helis these days can be set up for beginers with the use of a good programable tx

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
    Hello all,
    I am looking for a good sized outdoor Helicopter. One over 20 inches for sure.
    I realize it will have to be Co-Axial....or does it for a beginner? I have flown planes for two years. So I am used to running a 4 channel controler. But, I realize a Helicopter is still new to even the best Plane Pilots.
    So, what is the best (large) beginner Outside Helicopter?

Thank you,
    Don.
    OK, here is how I got into Heli's. I am a glider park flier. I thought heli's were interesting. I figured for $19.95 I would buy one of those Syma co-axial types. I had so much fun indoors with it so I ordered 2 more so I would not have to wait for the battery to charge. So far, so good. My next purchase was a CX3, a co-axial but twice as big. This was probably a mistake but still fun. I heard they do not make the CX3 and I can see why. They are fragile and cost plenty to keep flying. I wish I would have gone from the Syma directly to the Blade 120SR which I really enjoy. I highly recommend the Blade 120SR. One other thing, I thought bigger would be better so I bought a Sky King (QS8005) which is one of the largest coaxial helis and measures about 38 inches. I have a large indoor area to fly so size for me is not a concern. This is the way I am progressing and having fun. In 2 years I'll be 70 and want to have as much fun as I can.

I am a beginner. I started jan. 2 with two co-axial heli's (one 27in the other 8ins). I have already out grown them both. and have bought a 4 channel singe blade flybarless. its not ez. but I also have a simulator that I spent a lot of time on. and i will not try anything with my copter that i have not first worked out on my sim.

if you want to stay with co-axial heli's. look at Double Horse.

Official Member
    I think Double Horse 9117 4CH RC Helicopter 2.4GHz is best for you.
    charles gray