Thread: My first RC Airplane motor won't start

Newbie Member

My first RC Airplane motor won't start

I bought a CMP Piper L-4 Grasshopper 72" airplane from nitroplanes I got it put together (in spite of the instructions being the most awful worst I have ever seen) The control surfaces are all trimmed and work good the plane looks real nice. The problem is I can't get the motor to start. I have a E-Flite power 46 motor (brushless) an 80a Detrum ESC (brushless) 2 Blue Lipo 18.5v 3300mah 30C batteries (the batteries came with the plane so I don't even know if the're suppose to be wired Series or parallel there was no instructions) This is my first RC airplane and I have had it put together for to months just sitting there on my pool table cause I cant get the motor to run. I have tried hooking the ESC to the motor then turning the transmittewr on with the throttle full up (I tried it full down too) then I hooked up one battery the motor played a short tune then nothing (and I waited over an hour just to be sure). so I turned the transmitter off then the motor beeped about every second untill I got tired of that and unhooked the battery. I hooked them both up wired series and the ESC got hot after about 2 to 3 seconds so I unhooked it cause I wasn't sure about that and I didn't want to damage the ESC This is my first RC plane can someone please help me thank you Paul.

Platinum Member
    The ESC should have come with instructions on how to arm it. I have two, of different brands, which require you to plug the battery into the ESC with the transmitter on in in the minimum throttle position, then raise the throttle to maximum, followed by putting the throttle back to minimum. Only then will they arm, and allow the motor to run. You should do this the first time with the propeller off. If you get the motor to run, set it to a low throttle setting, to see which way it is turning. It should turn clockwise from the pilot's position, looking forward. If it turns the other way, you have to reverse two of the three wires between the ESC and the motor. One other thing, if you are powering your receiver with the ESC, you should also check the instructions on the ESC for what type BEC (battery eliminator circuit) it has; if it says it is switch mode, you're good. If not, you should get a separate receiver battery or a BEC which is switch mode, and disable the one in the ESC.

Newbie Member
    Thank you for the information, I have bought two of the 80c Detrum ESC from Hobby Parts about a month and a half apart and neither one came with any arming instructions. I have also tried what you suggested before I posted, I am at a loss at what to do, it's a shame to have this nice plane and can't fly it. is there possibly anything else I could try or where can I get arming instruction on how to arm this ESC. can't get anyone at Hobby Parts to help.

Platinum Member
    From what I could find, the ESC plays a 3 note start sequence, then a short pause, followed by a beep for each cell in the battery, then another pause, and a final long beep to indicate it is armed. This is all with the throttle set to minimum. Perhaps your throttle channel needs to be inverted? Try powering up with the throttle at max; if it goes through the start sequence, this is the problem.

Or, perhaps you need the programming card: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-esc-programcard.html. It should work out of the box, and programming should be for optimizing to your motor, but who knows? I found a few posts on other sites about defective ones, so you may just be 'lucky'.

Newbie Member
    Yea the ESC playes a 3 note start sequence no matter where the throttle is then nothing. I have let it set there after the 3 note start sequence for 30 minutes and nothing. The only thing different it does is when I turn off the transmitter it beeps about a second in between beeps for ever if I didn't unhook the battery. I'm gonna order a programming card and try that. thank you for trying to help. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Newbie Member
    I had simular problem with the Dynam A-10 from N/P, and after the following method I finally got the engine to run, even though I was able to set and adjust control surfaces pryor to that.

Try pluging in the ESC in under five seconds of turning on the Transmitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly64 View Post
    Thank you for the information, I have bought two of the 80c Detrum ESC from Hobby Parts about a month and a half apart and neither one came with any arming instructions. I have also tried what you suggested before I posted, I am at a loss at what to do, it's a shame to have this nice plane and can't fly it. is there possibly anything else I could try or where can I get arming instruction on how to arm this ESC. can't get anyone at Hobby Parts to help.
    Buy the Dynam programming card. It's less than $10 and will save you lots of grief.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-esc-programcard.html