Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Li-po battery charging

Newbie Member

Li-po battery charging

Hi. I just bought a F-35 Lightning ii, and it came with everything needed except for a wire or cable from the balance charger to a power source. I tried using a 12V and 0.42A plug for the cable, but after around 4 hours of charging, the led light below "charge" was still blinking, indicating that the battery was still being charged. Because of this, I tried using another cable with similar qualities, but now, the balance charger didn't even respond with the charge led light. All there was on the balance charger was a solid led light below "power". It stayed like this for 10 minutes, and I tried using the first cable. Same results. What should I do now, as I'm very anxious to fly my plane, and the battery is completely out.

Additional information
    The battery is a Li-polymer rechargeable battery with 25C, 11.1V, and 1300mAh.My battery is a 3S battery.
    The Balance charger is a BC-3S10 charger, and it can charge 2S or 3S batteries. It can take in 9-16V.

Newbie Member
    May anyone help me please?

Platinum Member
    I'd suggest scrapping that no information charger, for one that tells you what's going on. I have Thunder AC6 and AC680 chargers, and they give you all the information you need to verify how well your batteries are charging, how much charge you are using, and how good the balance is. There are many others, but these come with the AC adapter installed, so are quite convenient for small batteries.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WintrSol View Post
    I'd suggest scrapping that no information charger, for one that tells you what's going on. I have Thunder AC6 and AC680 chargers, and they give you all the information you need to verify how well your batteries are charging, how much charge you are using, and how good the balance is. There are many others, but these come with the AC adapter installed, so are quite convenient for small batteries.
    I do not mind the information part. All I really want is an efficient and cheap charger (with a plug into the wall) that can actually charge in an hour or less. Any ideas for a charger like this?

Platinum Member
    This one will do: http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html, and, if you plan to go larger some day, I like this one:http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

Newbie Member
    This one will do: http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html, and, if you plan to go larger some day, I like this one:http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
    Hmm... For the AC6 charger, it says that it doesn not include a DEANS connector. I wonder what that is? Well, the main question is - using an outlet from the wall, can it charge this battery ( http://www.nitroplanes.com/32p-1300m...p-111-25c.html ) without using any extra materials?

Platinum Member
    The DEANS connector is very popular, both for its small size, and current capacity. It is also known as a T-style connector, because it uses two flat contacts, arranged to resemble a T. I use them on several models.

The cables which are included with the charger may include the matching connector for that battery. One of the problems with electrics is, there are many types of battery connectors in use, some which look the same, but don't exactly fit together. Are you sure that battery's connector mates your ESC? Unfortunately, you won't know until you actually have them in your hands, which is another reason many of us standardize on one type, like the DEANS or XT60, and either make adapters to mate the batteries, or just change out the battery, ESC, and charge cable connectors.

As far as charging capacity, that battery requires 1.3 amps to charge at the normal, 1C rate (takes about an hour). Some batteries may be charged at higher rates, without significantly reducing the life of the battery. That is a 3 cell, or 3S battery, so at full charge, it will reach 12.6V, so the AC6 could charge that battery at a 3C rate (3.9A), if it can handle that rate. That rate would reduce charge time to just about 20 minutes.

i use a turnigy 200w charger and a home made computer power supply to power it. i can charge 3 cell batts in 8-11 minutes depending on the batteries charge rate.
    this hobby reguires us to solder connectors, theres just no getting around that.

this charger will charge pretty much anything you want from 1cell lipos to 6 cell or nicad and nimh. heck i use it to charge my glow igniter.

i put a deans on it. ive messed with traxxas stuff and i cut theyre connector off ad put the deans in its place.

another cool thing about this charger is it run right off your car battery when out in the feild.

big 6 cell batts is were it starts taxing this charger. like say a 5000 mah 6 cell battery with a 2c charge rate wants 10 amps to charge at is fastest. 2c is about the norm. the charger is maxed out at 10 amps and its working hard with the fan going like crazy.
    but today many lipos are being rated to 4-8c charge rates that measn they can be charged super fast but the turnigy just wont push more then 10 amps.

anyways im blabbing

Brandon, check these out for some clairifacation, regarding connections deans is out and xt60 are in read on...................http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...ce-connectors/ http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

Newbie Member
    The DEANS connector is very popular, both for its small size, and current capacity. It is also known as a T-style connector, because it uses two flat contacts, arranged to resemble a T. I use them on several models.

The cables which are included with the charger may include the matching connector for that battery. One of the problems with electrics is, there are many types of battery connectors in use, some which look the same, but don't exactly fit together. Are you sure that battery's connector mates your ESC? Unfortunately, you won't know until you actually have them in your hands, which is another reason many of us standardize on one type, like the DEANS or XT60, and either make adapters to mate the batteries, or just change out the battery, ESC, and charge cable connectors.

As far as charging capacity, that battery requires 1.3 amps to charge at the normal, 1C rate (takes about an hour). Some batteries may be charged at higher rates, without significantly reducing the life of the battery. That is a 3 cell, or 3S battery, so at full charge, it will reach 12.6V, so the AC6 could charge that battery at a 3C rate (3.9A), if it can handle that rate. That rate would reduce charge time to just about 20 minutes.

I am still not very clear on what a DEANS connector is. I know that my battery does fit into the plane (and does that mean that the battery's connectors mate the ESC?). Still, I just want to know if that balance charger will charge the battery without the DEANS connector. Also, at 4:44 in this video I got from the AC6 charger ( !), what is the guy plugging into the battery? I just thought that you can plug in one part of the battery to the balance charger and the charger will charge the battery. I did that with the balance charger I got from my package, but the battery did not charge. I am now assuming that we need to give a power source to one end of the battery, and the balance charger will just balance the charging without actually charging the battery? I hope that that is true. However, I am just a guy who wants a battery charged, so is this charger able to charge the battery without needing extra materials? It can charge a 3S battery just like how the guy in the video is charging a battery, right? Also, I don't need a DEANS connector to charge the battery? Thanks for the great help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast