Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New here need some advice on a 450 build

Newbie Member

New here need some advice on a 450 build

An old guy new to the forums..
    I use to fly what we called "gas" now (nitro I guess!) I have a 30 and a 60 size that I haven't flown for years. Been playing with sims all along and got the bug rekindled with a small electric.
    I'm looking at putting together a 450 but have been out of it so long, EVERYTHING has changed..
    (electrics will now fly more than 2 min!!! and you don't need to lift a car battery..
    Here are my thoughts on the build, starting low budget but I know it won't last there long.

Esky Belt CP V2 450 Carbon Edition Kit Version Newest 3D Helicopter complete with full metal head and tail upgrades, carbon fiber frame and blades.

Dynam 450 brushless motor+40A ESC+4PCS 9g servos+GY48V gyro for Trex/EXI 450

11 T Brushless motor gear(modulus6.5MM (will these fit on the above motor)

Some type of 2200 mAh battery (suggestions welcome)

And a transmitter question...

I have an older Futaba FP-7UAPS,FP-7UAFS and receiver I used with my current (old) helos.
    It does have PCM and PPM modulation capability... Can I use this radio for this build, or wouldni be better off going with a new one... (suggestions also welcome)

I was just getting into some light acro with the gas helos before I put them down, but would like to get back into it and see if the old hands can still move...

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the above build on anything else I will need, or should do different..

Thanks,
    Paul

Banned

Legendary Member
    Welcome to the forum f29pc,

First, I would suggest an Align clone over that Esky... Something like an EXI 450 V2 or EXI 450Pro
    Next the description of the electronics sounds like that package they sell at XHeli... stay away from it, its junk, and you can get better stuff for about the same cost.
    There are some parts lists people have been floating around here... or go to http://www.mycoolheli.com and see what Dave has for suggested electronics.

Go with a 13t pinion.. Get better tail holding with the higher speed.
    I like Turnigy batteries for the cost, and you can get them from within the US for about $14ea (30-40C)
    If your radio supports the gain, throttle and pitch curves, etc, then you maybe okay... hope someone else familiar with that radio chimes in

Have fun
    Jerry

Banned
    I agree withe Jerry to get a align clone. Much easier to get spare/replacement parts and stay away from that Dynam package. You can get the gy48v separately at hobbypartz.
    decide your motor 1st then get the pinion that fits the motor, commonly used shaft size for a 450 is 3.0 mm or 3.17 mm.
    I use Turnigy lipo mostly too. But I also like the Skylipo 40C (hobbypartz) 2200 mah too. It is lighter and more compact than Turnigy.
    I suggest you get a HK(hobbyking) 450 pro belt for your 1st come back heli.

YOu definitely got one of the best Radio of its time. I took a look at its manual. it definitely can be used, if you are comfortable with its programming. It has more programming capability than I can handle. You will probably need someone into this hobby for a long time to help you on that one.

remember at hobbypartz you get free shipping for >25.00/order and at HK you get one cent shipping for >100.00 /order. plan your purchase ahead can save you quite a bit on shipping cost.

don't forget the lipo charger if you don't have one. Plan the purchase.

I have actually gotten to where I like the Esky's, but as far as parts availability, go with an Align Clone. Many of the parts are interchangable except with the EXI, I have found that the Align main gears are alittle too large. Stick with EXI main gears if you go that route. I use Blue Lipo batteries exclusively, and suggest getting a Spectrum Dx6i radio setup.
    MASTER ORBIWAN (Duane)
    -MD500 Coax
    -120 SR
    -CB180D
    -HBV2
    -EXI 450 Sport
    -Solo Pro 2

Hello F29pc, wellcome to the forum, another old guy talking back at you. If you could give us some kind of budget that you would like to stay in, or the level of quality and durability that you would like to keep, we could be alot more presice on the reccomondations that we give.
    EXI/REX 450 PRO TT Tom
    ESC= HW Platinum Pro 40/60Amp
    Motor= Scorpion 2221-8 ( 14T ) governed at 3300
    Cyclics= HS65MG
    Gyro= GY520
    Tail Servo= S9257
    HBDD Neon Yellow Tail blades, Fly Bar Paddles(back hole)
    HBDD Orange Dampers Neon Yellow 500 Skids,Vert. Fin, Horz. Fin
    DX6I TX and AR6200 RX

Newbie Member
    Thanks a bunch everyone.. I did some searching on your recomendations and came up with this..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16621

Less expensive and allowed for better components to complete it. The choices were overwhelming!! but I got to the end of the checklist and everything is on it's way..
    I had a nice conversation with Rick at Heli proz that was very informing. I found out that my Futaba was not going to work. It only has the capability to mix 2 channels, not CCPM, so it looks like a radio upgrade is in the works..

As far as the budget.... I've done this too long and know is it's useless to put out a number because it always will be exceeded !! I guess it depends on how my skills advance. Right now I'm looking at getting into a solid 450 that can be modified as my skills advance.
    Thinking about this "re-kindling" of my interest in helos and rc's in general, the question of why I stopped flying in the first place kept coming up. The big reason was of course time, the other was hauling out the flight box, fuel, starters, batteries, ect... I think the electric avenue will give me more flight time with less setup time, we'll see.. And the building is always fun..
    The advice was great, and more is always welcome, keep it coming.
    Paul

Banned
    f29pc:

The one you decide on is a align 450 se v2 compatible. I highly suggest you to reconsider this one:
    http://www.hobby king.com/hobby king/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=14508
    this is a 450 pro clone with belt conversion. It is much more stable and robust than the se v2. I have both (only my sev2 is an EXI ,not HK 450mg, they are pretty much the same. And I have the HK 450 pro belt as above link). The only unique part of this heli is the tail drive gear. Only the pro belt version clone has it. available as a set from EXI or HK(drive gear and tail boom block).

and you can convert it to a torque tube drive easy later if you want to.

:You can call HK if they have not shipped out and change the order. they are good at doing this sort of things.

se v2 has double stack body while pro has single unibody. it has a lot more rigid body and robust head and fly bar cage. Also, my biggest problem with se v2 is the tail rotor holder. It takes 7 screw (philip screw head and that is hard to work with too) to secure which is a pain in the neck to repair/maintain. the pro belt has only 5 (hex head screw) to hold it together (but stronger). It is a lot easier to work on. There are a few bearings at the key spot in pro is larger and hence much more durable than the se v2.

Please reconsider.

As for the radio. DX certainly is a good radio. but Turnigy 9X is a lot more for the money. additional Rx (6 or 8 ch) is only 9.00 It has 8 channel , 8 model memory and fully programmable, can be use for plane, glider and heli. To get an 8 ch DX would cost a whole lot more and each Rx is about 50 or above. Add a blue led to it. You will be happy with it.

http://www.hobby king.com/hobby king/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=8992
    http://www.hobby king.com/hobby king/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=16720
    and a LiFe battery (last a lot longer than NiMH)
    http://www.hobby king.com/hobby king/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=17955

or the Flysky T9H (rebranded Turnigy 9X) at hobbypartz.

Newbie Member
    Kaos thanks for the info,
    I was looking at the Turnigy 9X, it seems to have a lot to offer, but from reading the reviews (with a grain of salt!) I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling. Have they got the bugs worked out with the v2??
    One other radio question... I fly with the throttle/collective and rudder on the left stick... that's "mode 2" correct
    Thanks, Paul

The thing about that radio is that you have to have it connected to a computer to change things. I don't have experience with that radio, only the DX6I, but I was just curious about how many settings that you can change on the radio without having to use the computer? If you live at a place where you have to go to a field/park to fly, to be able to tweek the settings on your bird, to fine tune, you have to have a laptop to do so. I don't know if the firmware in the radio is compatible with windows7/64 bit yet or not, maybe some one that knows can chime in that does.
    EXI/REX 450 PRO TT Tom
    ESC= HW Platinum Pro 40/60Amp
    Motor= Scorpion 2221-8 ( 14T ) governed at 3300
    Cyclics= HS65MG
    Gyro= GY520
    Tail Servo= S9257
    HBDD Neon Yellow Tail blades, Fly Bar Paddles(back hole)
    HBDD Orange Dampers Neon Yellow 500 Skids,Vert. Fin, Horz. Fin
    DX6I TX and AR6200 RX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast